본문

내 워크맨 속 갠지스

THE GANGES IN MY WALKMAN

김경주​

외로운 날엔 살을 만진다

on lonely days I touch my skin

내 몸의 내륙을 다 돌아다녀본 음악이 피부 속에 아직 살고 있는지 궁금한 것이다

the music roams the empire of my inner body and yet I wonder whether it lives

열두 살이 되는 밤부터 라디오 속에 푸른 모닥불을 피운다 아주 사소한 바람에도 음악들은 꺼질 듯 꺼질 듯 흔들리지만 눅눅한 불빛을 흘리고 있는 낮은 스탠드 아래서 나는 지금 지구의 반대편으로 날아가고 있는 메아리 하나를 생각한다

the blue campfire in the radio I’ve smoked since the night I turned 12 and the blurred wind flickering, it picks up white noise and waves it goodbye; so just now, dimming under the moist light of the low lamp, I think of one echo flying to the opposite side of the earth

나의 가장 반대편에서 날아오고 있는 / and heading in the opposite direction,

영혼이라는 엽서 한 장을 기다린다a postcard named the soul that I wait for

오늘 밤 불가능한 감수성에 대해서 말한 어느 예술가의 말을 떠올리며 스무 마리의 담배를 사 오는 골목에서나는 이 골목을 서성거리곤 했을 / 붓다의 찬 눈을 생각했는지 모른다고향을 기억해낼 수 없어 벽에 기대 떨곤 했을, / I guess tonight is about an impossible sensibility, I remember a certain artist’s saying, in this alley buying 20 cigarettes, I might’ve thought of the Buddha’s cold eyes pacing back and forth, not remembering home, leaning against the wall in shivers; and because the Buddha’s one eyelash seems to have fallen somewhere, 붓다의 속눈썹 하나가 어딘가에 떨어져 있을 것 같다는 생각만으로 from just the idea, 나는 겨우 음악이 된다I barely become music

나는 붓다의 수행 중 방랑을 가장 사랑했다among Buddha’s practices I love wandering most 방랑이란 그런 것이다wandering is just so 쭈그려 앉아서 한생을 떠는 것 사랑으로 가슴으로 무너지는 날에도 나는 깨어서 골방 속에 떨곤 했다 이런 생각을 할 때 내 두 눈은 강물 냄새가 난다

crouching, one’s entire life spent trembling, even on a day that breaks through all the love inside the heart, I wake in the attic where I used to quiver; whenever I think of this my eyes smell of the river

워크맨은 귓속에 몇천 년의 갠지스를 감고 돌리고 창틈으로 죽은 자들이 강물 속에서 꾸고 있는 꿈 냄새가 올라온다 혹은 그들이 살아서 미처 꾸지 못한 꿈 냄새가 도시의 창문마다 흘러내리고 있다

for several thousand years the Walkman winds and turns the Ganges in my earsrising through a tiny crack in the window, the smell of the dreams that dead people in the river are dreamingit’s either that or it’s the smell of dreams that died when the dead were alive that climb through each window in this city / 그런데 여관의 말뚝에 매인 산양은 왜 밤새 우는 것일까in any case, why does this goat tied to the post outside the inn cry all night?

외로움이라는 인간의 표정 하나를 배우기 위해 산양은 그토록 많은 별자리를 기억하고 있는지 모른다recalling every constellation in the sky, a goat might learn just a single expression for human loneliness 바바 게스트하우스 창턱에 걸터앉은 젊은 붓다가 비린 손가락을 물고 검은 물 안을 내려다보는 밤, / perching from the windowsill of the Baba Guest House, young Buddha bites his bloody fingergazing down into night inside the black water, 내 몸의 이역(異域)들은 울음들이었다고 쓰고 싶어지는 생이 있다 / , there is life when the cries of my body’s foreign lands wish to write, 눈물은 눈 속에서 가늘게 떨고 있는 한 점 열이었다and in my eyes, slightly trembling, the tears are a fever

번역자 제이크 레빈 소개

제이크 레빈은 2010~2011년 리투아니아에서 풀브라이트 장학금을 포함해 여러 장학금 및 수상을 한 바 있다. 두 권의 소책자(삭제의 문턱(The Threshold of Erasure, Spork 2010)와 빌뉴스 악령(Vilna Dybbuk, Country Music 2014))를 저술했다. 자신의 시, 번역물, 에세이 등은 보스턴 리뷰지, 루에르니카, HTML자이언트, 아트라스 리뷰지, 페이퍼 다츠 외 다수의 잡지에 실렸다. 그는 리투아니아어로 쓰여진 토마스 스롬바스의 작품, /(God/Thing, Vario Burnos 2011)을 영어로 번역했으며 김경주 시집 나는 이 세상에 없는 계절이다 등 한국현대시인의 시집을 다수 번역중이다. 현재 서울대학교에서 비교문학전공 박사과정을 수료했고 현재 계명대학교 문예창작학과에서 초빙교수로 역임중이다. 또 아리조나 투산 출판사인 스포크 프레스(Spork Press)에서 편집장을 맡고 있다.

브라우저 최상단으로 이동합니다 브라우저 최하단으로 이동합니다