•   >  
  • 영어
영어

The shadow game / Sungyul Lee 이성렬

페이지 정보

작성자 관리자 작성일17-10-27 20:17 조회3,579회

본문

그림자놀이

식구들과 여행을 갈 때마다 밤중에 몰래 빠져나와 집으로 전화를 걸곤 했다. 러시안 룰레트에서 힌트를 얻은 이 놀이에 나는 온 귀의 신경을 팽팽히 곤두세우며 집중했지만, 게임의 규칙을 알지 못하여 번번이 실패하였다. 반복적으로 울리는 신호는 민물장어처럼 귓바퀴를 빠져나갔을 뿐.

놀이의 비밀을 알아낸 것은 엉망으로 취한 대명콘도 지하상가에서였다. 신호음이 아니라 밑에 깔린 미세한 잡음이 모르스부호로 말하고 있음을. 무작위한 전자들의 움직임이 <적어도, 지금, 여기에>라고 속삭임을 분명히 들었고, 철학책을 뒤져가며 해독하는데 8개월이 걸렸다.

두 번째는 쿄토 금각사 근처 여관에서 <캪슐, 즐거움, 말미잘>이라는 단어들이 흘러나왔는데, 1년 반 후에 대전 술집에서 옆에 앉은 미대 아르바이트생과 관련되어 있음을 깨달았다. 그 다음에는 진화론의 대가인 스티븐 굴드 교수의 책에서나 읽은 듯한 <우연히, 直立猿人, 치질, 도도새>라는, 도저히 알 수 없는 말들이 튀어나왔다.

이 은밀한 놀이는 그러나 제주 중문단지에서 송화기 구멍 사이로 내 음산한 목소리가 <출구, 덧없음, 不在>라고 내뱉었을 때, 목덜미에 돋은 소름과 함께 끝이 났다. 

계간 <서정시학> 2003년 가을

The shadow game

Whenever I traveled with my family I used to sneak out and call my empty home. Taking hints from Russian roulette, I concentrated intensely on this game with all my nerves on the line, but failed to play in the absence of the rules of the game. Repetitive sounds of the signal swam around my ears like a slippery eel.

It was in a health resort that I found out the secret of the game, that it was the fine background noise talking to me in Morse code, not the sound of the bell. I clearly heard the random moving electrons whispering <at least, now, here>, and it took me 8 months to decipher them, rummaging through philosophy books.

The second time, it was in a motel near the Temple of the Golden Pavilion in Kyoto, that <capsule, pleasure, sea anemone> streamed out, and it took one and half years before I realized that the words were related to an art student serving me in a bar on a business trip. Next, the unintelligible words <accidently, Pithecanthropus erectus, hemorrhoids, dodoes> sprang out, which might have been read in a book by Stephen J. Gould, the maestro of evolution theory.

This secret game, however, came to an end in a Cheju resort with goose bumps on the neck, when my sepulchral voice spat out the words <exit, emptiness, absence>.

-Quarterly <Poetry and lyrics>, Autumn, 2003

브라우저 최상단으로 이동합니다 브라우저 최하단으로 이동합니다